The TRAI was established in 1997 by an Act of Parliament, called the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Act, 1997, to regulate telecom services, including fixation/revision of tariffs for telecom services. TRAI's mission is to ensure that the interests of consumers are protected and at the same time to nurture conditions for growth of telecommunications in the country in a manner and at a pace which will enable India to play a leading role in emerging global information society.
One of the main objectives of TRAI is to provide a fair and transparent policy environment which promotes a level playing field and facilitates fair competition. In pursuance of above objective TRAI has issued, from time to time, a several regulations, orders and directives to deal with issues coming before it. The directions, orders and regulations issued cover a wide range of subjects including tariff, interconnection and quality of service etc.
About TRAI Mobile Applications
Policy initiatives of TRAI, over the years, have been to protect the interests of the consumers. TRAI recognize the importance of reaching out to the consumers not only to inform them of the measures taken to safeguard their interests, but also to obtain feedback, and to involve them in the decision-making processes of the TRAI.
In consonance with the vision of Digital India, TRAI places greater reliance on technology to facilitate consumer base of over 1 billion spread across its vast geography. TRAI has launched following consumer oriented utility Mobile Apps:
Do Not Disturb (DND 2.0)
Do Not Disturb (DND 2.0) App enables smart phone users to register their mobile number under DND to avoid and lodge their complaints against Telemarketing Calls and /or SMSes. This is based on TRAI, “Telecom Commercial Communication Customer Preference Regulations, 2010”.
To identify SPAM calls and SMS, App requires following access permissions:
• Contacts: To ignore calls and SMS received from the numbers in your contact list and process the rest;
• Phone (Call Logs): To identify SPAM Calls from unknown numbers;
• SMS: To identify SPAM SMS from unknown numbers and telemarketers. The message is reported to the telephone service provider only when the user elects to do so.
TRAI MyCall Application help Mobile phone users to rate their experience regarding voice call quality in real time on crowdsourcing basis and help TRAI gather customer experience data along with Network data.
To help users to rate Call Quality experience, the App requires following permissions:
• Contacts: To present you with a call log with caller names. This is to help you rate the call at a later, convenient time;
• Phone (Call Logs): To present you with a call log with caller names. This is to help you rate the call at a later, convenient time. To know when a call is initiated and completed, so you are prompted to rate it thereafter;
• Location: To correlate your call experience with network at a given location;
• Storage: Required to store call rating information till submission, when Wi-Fi and/or data network is available, as configured by user.
This application allows users to measure and crowdsource their data speed experience and sends the results to TRAI. The application captures and sends coverage, data speed and other network information along with device and location of the tests.
To help users to measure data speed experience, the App requires following permissions:
• Location: To correlate your data speed with network at a given location;
• Phone: To determine whether you are using mobile data or Wi-Fi for connection, and to determine and report speed accordingly.
With TRAI's New Regulation, for the Television and Broadcasting Sector having come into force, consumers have the freedom to select Television (TV) Channels they want to watch. This Application will help the consumers to optimize the selection of their choice and inform them about the Maximum Retail Price (MRP) of the channels selected by them.
With a view to bring all four TRAI applications on single platform, TRAI has launched ‘TRAI Apps’. This application has all the TRAI mobile applications namely DND 2.0, MySpeed, MyCall and Channel Selector Applications listed at one place. ‘TRAI Apps’ provides user an interface to access all TRAI mobile applications through a single application.
Responsibility and Ownership of Information and Content
• TRAI does not have any commercial interest in functioning of these applications. Applications are published with sole objective to facilitate consumers in accordance with the regulations issued by TRAI.
• When the user registers with TRAI Apps, then the user needs to provide his/her personal information that may be required by TRAI for allowing the user to access the TRAI App/Portal and for availing the services offered on the App/Portal.
• TRAI does not share/ disclose any personal information with any individual or organization (public or private).
• All the permissions required for the applications are essential for the working of the application.
• The permissions required by the applications are specifically mentioned in the respective mobile applications. Also, the user has been provided features in the settings of the apps, to change the default permissions of the applications, but the change in permissions may effect the desired functionality of the respective mobile application.
• All the data collected by MyCall and MySpeed is available on publicly accessible portals. The data published does not contain any user specific information and only shows the performance of QoS (Quality of Service) indicators.
• It will be a constant endeavour to protect the system from unauthorized access or unauthorized alterations, disclosure or destruction of information. In particular, all the information will be held in encrypted form and the communication channels for accessing the portal and transfer of data is encrypted using SSL as permissible under the laws of India. Further, multi-factor authentication has been deployed to ensure authenticity of the user.
• In case of any grievances, the user may send his/her complaints for redressal to: info[at]trai[dot]gov[dot]in
Right to Modify or Terminate
• TRAI reserves the right at any time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the service (or any part of it), with or without notice. TRAI, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to terminate any user account and refuse any current or future use of the platform for any reason at any time without giving any prior notice. Such termination may result in the deactivation or deletion of the account and the loss of all the content hosted therein.